Saturday 31 March 2012

Fenchurch Street to Sweden


I took my Pentax 67 out for a shoot last Monday which was great fun as I haven’t shot any 120 roll film for ages. I picked up the Pentax 67 camera last year from Dave at the Camera Repair Workshop in Bletchely for a great price and I’ve been using the Pentax 67 lenses that I’ve since acquired on my Canon EOS 5D MK2 with an adaptor. I haven’t had a chance to actually use the camera though so it was good to just head out and fire off a few rolls of film.
A lot of people mistakenly believe that film is dead but it’s making a comeback right now and many established pro’s still use film (David Bailey and John Stoddart spring to mind).
120 roll film and 35mm film is readily available on the internet so why not get a second hand camera and have some fun!.
Work wise we had a pretty good week with a job at Fenchurch Street station on Monday night, a product shoot on Tuesday and a two day shoot over in Sweden at a brand new hotel.
It’s always tiring working abroad what with all the travelling but it was great fun working in Sweden and the hotel staff treated us really well. I’ve worked in Sweden before and the people over there seem to be really friendly and pleasant.
We’ve also just taken on a new member of staff. Antonia will be joining us from April as an assistant photographer as well as working with me and Pete at Inverse Square Media. It will be great to have someone around to help out on shoots as well as with the mountain on post shoot processing that I have to get through.
Even things like burning disks for the archive and keeping the blog, Twitter, Facebook page and Google + page up to date take ages so an extra pair of hands will really help.
I’ve attached a couple of the pictures from Fenchurch Street Station into the blog. We were commissioned by the lighting manufacturer and the lighting designer jointly and the brief was to capture the quality of the new light fittings that have been installed above the platforms and in the main concourse. When you photograph any Network Rail property you have to pay for a permit and send them a method statement and risk assessment for each job. I’ve also got the correct orange hi vis jacket (yellow for motorways and roads etc) and we also have to submit our public liability insurance certificate to them for approval. All this makes sense when you think how dangerous working near a railway can be so we’re happy to comply.
I never use flash out on location anyway but obviously this is a total no go near any railway lines so that’s another thing to consider if you get the chance to photograph any platforms etc.




No comments: